Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Harrison Bergeron

Hi My name is Toby. Over the summer I read many texts but one that stood out to me the most was a story called "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut. I like this story because Vonnegut is subtly making fun of what society has become. He does this by using an extreme example in which everyone is equal in every way shape or form. One moment that made me stop and think about was right after George and Hazel's kid Harrison was killed on live television and because Hazel was so simple minded, when George came back from the kitchen and asked what happened Hazel said "I forget...Something real sad on television." Because they made everyone exactly equal a mother couldn't remember her own sons death, and a father who wouldn't know. Although this story is very extreme there are aspects of today that are similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment